Thursday 1 January 2015

Day #21 Memorising words by finding connections - part 1




I believe that everyone has to find out what are her/his best methods or ways of learning. I think that the best idea is to use more of them, try different ones to find out which are the most suitable for a problem and your abilities or needs.

When I try to learn new word I usually use a few learning strategies. Sometimes a new word or phrase is so new and strange for me that it’s almost impossible to remember. What do I do then?

First I have to connect the new word with something I know. How? By:

Dividing the word into parts, parts which can mean something helpful for remembering the entire word
For example:
mediocre – there is a part of the word medio which is similar to medium this make me easier to connect the word with its meaning – average


By using mnemonics - making a drawing which simplify the word or the whole phrase, make it more memorable for me.

For example:



Using another mnemonic technic - I create the whole story or at least explanation why these words are used in the collocation.

For example







Sometime it’s really useful to look into dictionary which can explain how the word was build and what are the roots of the word. Remember, associate, make connection between the knowledge you already have and a new piece of material.

For example




No comments:

Post a Comment