Monday 12 January 2015

Day #26 - Why I didn’t learn English effectively





Most of us have some problems with learning a new language effectively. I was also dealing with this problem, so I decided to find out why.

The first cause I discovered was lack of regularity. I was spending a lot of time learning new words or grammar structures and then I was forgetting to revise them regularly and in consequence I usually wasn’t able to remember them for long.

The second cause, in my case, were methods I used. Methods which didn’t suit my needs and abilities. I have some difficulties in learning in traditional ways because I’m dyslectic. On the other hand I can learn quite effectively when I use some unconventional learning technics. Nevertheless I usually need to experiment for some time to find out what works for me and what doesn’t.

The third cause I noticed was lack of opportunities to practise my English in more or less natural situations, to be exact - lack of somebody to talk with.

I remember how easily I learnt Vietnamese (to basic level) when I was spending a lot of time with Vietnamese people being a teacher of Polish for them and being forced to communicate with my students who were not able to speak any Polish at the beginning. Therefore I understand how important speaking in your target language is and on the other hand I know that maybe I’m not a prodigy but I’m also not an unskilled person. A was able to learn Vietnamese without special effort, wasn’t I?

These are not the only reasons why I had problems with learning English but definitely main sources of them. The most important thing is that reflecting on my learning bred in some actions and good results in consequences. One of it is this blog of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment