Tuesday 23 December 2014

Day #17 - And you? How many souls have you got?



Sometimes I wonder why I like learning English so much. 
I'm not sure. Maybe because I heard what people say about speaking foreign languages: "You have as many souls as many languages you can speak" (or "As many languages you know, as many times you are a human being"). I believe that's true. I read an article about differences in thinking in diverse languages. I also experienced  this diversion when I was learning Vietnamese. I remember some examples of importance which language I spoke and how that changed the way I began to think.

This is one of them: Vietnamese people always asked me about my age. It's rude in Poland to ask woman such a question but in their culture it’s quite normal.  The age of your interlocutor is very important because it changes the way their can talk to her. For example she can be younger woman, older woman, married or single - all that situations make a difference, change the way they can say word "you" to her. I remember how difficult at first it was for me to understand that the word “em” can mean “you” or “I”.  “Em yeu anh” can means “I love you” or “You love me”. How can it be possible? It’s depend on who is saying the phrase.

So I believe that language you use changes the way you think, every foreign language you can speak lets your other soul show up and that lets you be more human.
I like my English soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment