Monday 15 December 2014

Day #12 - How to read to improve your English?

When I’m thinking about my learning I realise that reading take an important part in it. But it can bring about less or more benefits. It depends on how you read.

photo by Martin, www.flickr.com, Some rights reserved

If you are interested in improving your English by reading use this tips and strategies. I tried them all. They work for me so they can be as good for you:
  • You can read only for fun, only to learn or for both reasons. It’s good from time to time read for two of them.
  • Find text which are interesting for you. Your favourite novel, article about your idol or striking piece of contemporary writing.
  • Make sure that the text is on the right level, that it is not too difficult or too easy for you. I think that short contemporary texts are the best for the start.
  • At the beginning read the whole text quickly. Try to understand it without using the dictionary. It’s not so important to understand every word in the text. You just need to understand its context.
  • Underline words. Sometimes I do this to highlight new words, which should be translated. However first I try to guess their meaning by reading the whole paragraph once again. I’s a good exercise for your brain, and very often it really helps you to find out what the word means without opening the dictionary.
  •  “Pause and think” method. Sometimes I use texts to concentrate on grammar, spelling, already memorised words. Just to remember better how to use them in different situations, how the words were used in real texts. I usually can find something interesting, worth to remember in every text. Then I try to use it in action – sometimes just to talk to myself or by writing a note with the new phrase.
  • Analyse text. If the text is very important for me I try to not only understand it better but also remember it. In this case I read the text part after part, summarizing each paragraph in one sentence or retelling it. If it’s possible I discuss it with other people. Another method of learning with text is asking the questions. I write them down for later use or ask them other people.
  • Regularity. I read in English a lot. It’s a good for being immersed in the language, because it doesn’t need a lot of effort. Sometimes, when I’m pressed for time or tired  I read only for fun. However I’m try to read regularly no meter what.
  • Read and listen. When I started to learn understanding spoken English I listened to podcasts a lot. At the beginning it’s good to listen to a podcast and read its transcript. You can do this simultaneously or one after another. There are plenty of podcasts on the BBC learning English website – they are great for a start and are published with transcripts. This kind of materials is also great for practising your pronunciation. First hear the recording and then try to read the text laud imitating the right pronunciation.    
  • Talk or write about it. The best way to learn using English texts is to use them to have an interesting subject for communicating with others. So read a lot and talk about things you read about or write what you learnt from texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment