Monday 2 February 2015

Day #35 - Using your own rhymes for learning English



I know, creating rhymes even in your own language can be difficult. But it can be fun as well.

It will be easier with a dictionary. For example something like this one www.rhymezone.com

So think about it like some kind of puzzle or brain game and have fun.

How creating rhymes can be useful for learning English? They can become audio mnemonics, which can let you better remember new words or whole phrases:

An example:

I wanted to remember the word “clogs”, so I created the sentence

I usually wear clogs when it rains cats and dogs

If you have luck you can find already created rhymes. To do that you can also use the same site www.rhymezone.com

Look how I find the one, for memorizing the word “apparel”:

I would rather wear a barrel
Than conservative apparel
First you have to find the word:


Then you go to the Examples section, and click for more of them:

 
Now you can cross your fingers browsing  through the examples. If you have luck, like me, you can find something for you:


As you can see "my" rhymes are from the Spiece Girls song. 


But remember:

The problem with memorizing new words using rhymes is that you have to find rhymes which use words already familiar for you. You can’t use new words for better remember something – it won’t work.
Because of that sometimes the trick with rhymes doesn’t work. Sometimes it’s to difficult to find proper words.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment